Open http://jhem.johnshopkins.edu or by logging into the myJH Portal and clicking the Email link.
You will use your JHED Login ID (LID) and password.
JHEM Webmail opens to your Inbox view by default.
- To select messages for deletion or filing, click the checkbox at the left of the message.
- The icons in the second column are
= Unread = Read = Marked as deleted
- Note: Use the Options: Settings page to adjust your preferences for deleting messages. Messages can either be deleted immediately, moved to the trash, or marked as deleted until you click the Expunge button.
- Columns can be sorted by clicking on the column header: Received, From, Size or Subject.
- Click on the Subject link for each message to view the message. Upon opening the message, you can also open your attachment(s).
- The amount of messages that you see per page can be adjusted by setting your preferences in Options: Settings.
To Compose a Message:
- Click the Compose icon. You see the Compose Message window and your cursor will be in the "add recipient" field.
- In the "add recipient" field, type an email address, and then click either the To:, Cc:, or Bcc: to add to the recipient list
Note: To add several recipients in a single "add recipient" field, you can enter each recipient's address followed by a comma. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also click the Address icon to search for addresses in your Personal Address book or the Enterprise Directory. After searching you will see a results list. Choose the check box under To:, Cc: or Bcc: and click the Address Message icon to toggle to your message and add the address. The Address Lookup window will remain open until your click the Done button.
- Type in Subject, Message Body, and select Priority and Request Receipt options if needed. Click Send.
Note: If you request a receipt for ‘When Delivered’, you will be emailed a reply when the message is delivered to the recipient’s server. However, if you request “When Viewed”, the user is prompted that a receipt is requested. They can agree to send or cancel the receipt.
- To save the message to send later, click Save Draft. The message will be saved in your Drafts folder (unless you choose a different folder in Options: Settings).
Creating a New Address Entry
Use the Addresses tab to add an individual to your personal address book. A personal address book entry stores names, email addresses, phone numbers, business or home address, notes, groups, home page links, and more.
To create an address entry for an individual:
- Click the Addresses tab.
- Click the New Entry icon. You see a dialog box.
- Within the New Entry tab, type the information about the individual. The New Entry tab allows you to enter the recipient's first name, last name, email, work, home, mobile, pager, and fax numbers. The display name is the name you type in the first and last name fields.
- Click the More tab if you want to enter the recipient’s postal address, home page, and birthday.
- Click the Notes tab if you want to write notes about the recipient. For example, if the recipient is a member of a club in which you belong, you might enter the name of the club in the notes box.
- Click the Groups tab to get a list of mail groups.
A list of address groups you have created is displayed. To add the recipient to a group, click the box next to the group name to insert a checkmark.
Creating a New Group
Use this option if you regularly send messages to a group of email recipients. To create a new group:
- Click the Addresses tab.
- Click the New Group icon. You see the New Group tab.
- Enter a name in the Group Name field. This can be a name that describes a group of email users.
- Select the individuals you want to include in the New Group from the panel on the right labeled "Other Entries".
- Click the arrow pointing left < to move the email recipient to the Group Includes panel on left.
- Click the arrow pointing right > to remove a name from the Group Includes panel and place it in the Other Entries panel.
- Click the Notes tab to make notes about the group you are creating.
Use the Edit Group icon to late make changes to your group. Follow the instructions in 5-7 above to make changes to an existing group.
Composing a Recipient List
Use the Compose icon to create a recipient list for a new email message.
To compose a one-time list of email recipients (as opposed to "New Group" which is saved and can be used each time):
- Click the Address tab.
- Click the Compose icon. A Create Recipient List tab appears with existing addresses listed in the panel on the right labeled "Other Entries".
- Select the names you want from the "Other Entries" panel.
- Click the appropriate address type (To:, Cc:, or Bcc:) to place names in the Recipients panel on the left.
- Click the Compose Message button when you've finished selecting names for the list. A Compose Message dialog box appears with the names of the recipients you selected.
- Compose your message.
You can create folders and file messages in any folder. For example, you may want to create a project folder and file all associated email messages in that folder.
- Click the Folders tab.
- Select the radio button (the little box to click in) next to the top-level folder in which you want to create a new subfolder. You should probably keep them in the personal folder section.
- Click the New icon.
- In the "New Folder" dialog box, type a name for the new folder. Click OK.
Filing Messages to a Folder
After reading a message, you can file it to another folder.
From the "Move message to folder" drop-down list, choose the folder in which you want the message filed.
Looking Up Addresses
You can use the Address Lookup feature to help you find a recipient's address.
For example, if you already know a recipient's first name is something like John, but you are not sure of the spelling, you can specify these search criteria:
Another example is, if you know the recipient's phone number you can specify these search criteria:
- Click Compose from the Folder tab, Inbox tab, or Message tab.
- Click Address.
- From the "Search Addresses" drop-down list, select the phonebook or directory you want to search.
- From the "Full Name" drop-down list, select the element you want to search.
- From the "contains" drop-down list, select the type of search you want to perform.
- In the text field, enter the keyword or keywords you want to search.
- Click Search.
- When the results of the search are listed in the window, they are located next to the name.
Deleting a Message
- Click the Subject of the message. This opens the message for viewing.
- Click Delete.
- See "Options", next function, for more options.
To adjust your settings, select the button. The window will open to your Account Summary.
To set up Signature, vCard, and Return Address preferences, click Personal Information.
Your password can only be changed in the myJH Portal.
Settings allows you to set many of your Webmail preferences:
Collecting Mail From Another Account:
You can collect mail from another email account and pull into your JHEM account via the webmail client. To do this, click the Collect External Mail link which is in the lower right-hand corner of both the Folders and Inbox windows.
The following window will allow you to enter the settings for that account:
You will need the POP Server account name for the account that you wish to pull mail from along with your User ID and password for that account.
You can choose to delete messages from that server once your mail is pulled into your JHEM account.
You can also choose which folder to place the mail from that account in.
Click Collect when you are ready to retrieve your mail from that ser